Mobility scooter legal restrictions

Mobility Scooters: Usage Restrictions and the Law

There appears to be a lot of confusion surrounding the use of mobility scooters, licensing them and are you allowed to drive them on the road. To try and put the issue clearly and concisely we have consulted the Governments official guidelines.

Types of Vehicle

To start with you do not need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but only certain types are allowed to drive on the road.

Class 2 invalid carriages: Max speed 4mph. These are not allowed to drive on the road, expect where there is no pavement.

Class 3 invalid carriages: Max speed on the road is 8mph, and 4mph off it. These are allowed to drive on the road and require to be registered.

They are not permitted to use bus lanes, “cycle only” lanes or motorways and must follow the Highway Code rules.

Features of a Class 3:
• Max unladen weight of 150kg
• Max width of 0.85 metres
• Max speed of 8mph
• Device to limit speed to 4mph for off road use
• Efficient braking system
• Front & rear lights and reflectors
• Indicators
• Horn
• Rear view mirror
• Amber flashing light – required for dual carriage way use
(The police may stop you if the vehicle does not have these items)

Driving on Footpaths and Pavements

All vehicles may be used on footpaths and pavements as long as they do not exceed 4mph.

The normal parking restrictions apply to mobility scooters and they must not be left blocking pedestrian access.

As above, normal Highway Code rules apply.

Restrictions on the use of Mobility Scooters

They are restricted for the use of disabled persons, but there are a few exemptions.

They are:
• If you a demonstrating a vehicle pre-sale
• If you are training a disabled users
• If you are taking the vehicle for repair or maintenance

These is no legal requirement for eyesight, but it is recommended that you are able to read a car number plate from 40 feet (12.3 metres).

Tax, Registration and Insurance

There is no vehicle tax on mobility scooters, but Class 3 vehicles must be registered with the DVLA. Please note that this must be done directly with the DVLA by post and cannot be done online or in Post Offices.

Insurance is not required, but it is recommended. Here at Mobility Right we recommend Blue Badge Mobility Insurance for all types of cover, from accident, theft and damage to breakdown insurance.

A full breakdown of the rules can be found here:

5 Responses

  1. Maggie
    Maggie at |

    Scooter battery a ton weight ..need something on wheels to move to my mains socket to charge it as its a distance from my car . I have to have my scooter disassembled all the time and left in car until need for use……any suggestions as I am not very young and don’t have help nearby.

    1. Richard Kaminski
      Richard Kaminski at |

      You could try a long extension on a reel. I have used that method myself. My extension on a reel came from screwfix

      1. Paul F
        Paul F at |

        I know it’s a bit late but I agree with the extension idea.
        You can even go online to buy one these days.
        I would recommend measuring the distance between mains socket and charger before you buy, oh and be sure to add a few feet so the cable is not pulled tight.

  2. Jan
    Jan at |

    How about this light weight wheel barrow which can be folded

  3. Martin Gibbs
    Martin Gibbs at |

    My 8mph scooter has two useless batteries and the motor is quite worn and will cost a fortune to repair or replace. A friend in the garden machinery business has offer to convert my scooter by fitting a lawnmower or moped engine for me. Providing there is a maximum limit of 8mph. with a restriction for 4mph. use and all the other original lights, brakes ect. and overall size are retained would this be feasible. I only used my scooter for outdoor mobility and mainly use upon the flat road and never indoors or up steep hills.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.